Arctic blasts making you want to hole up in a grey fog until Spring. Spring? What is that anyway? It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve met.
How about a list of my favorite blah breakers?
1. Buy flowers. Before you say, I can’t afford it, check out the floral section at the local grocery store or Walmart. Last year I bought one bunch for less than five dollars and divided it into two … enough to shake up the January grey for myself and a friend. That’s a lot of visual happiness for a few dollars!
2. Buy pink tulips. Yes, they are in a class all their own.🙂
3. Wear bright, happy colors. It’s easy to let greys, blacks and muted colors take over your winter wardrobe. Give it a pop with a bright turquoise scarf or a coral sweater to brighten your eyes.
4. Use a peppermint-scented shower scrub. You’ll energize your skin and senses simultaneously. Hey, it might even make you want to get moving in the morning.
5. Eat grapefruit. The citrus wake up is the best thing for bored senses and if you close your eyes you can alllllmost imagine the white sands of Siesta Key. If you don’t like grapefruit, make a mixture of frozen peaches, canned pineapple (drain the juice first), and oranges cut into bite-sized segments.
6. Squeeze a fat wedge of lemon into your ice water. Or a slice of lime. Or an orange section. Anything to give it a bit of flair. If you’re really bored with water, try a glass of carbonated water just for fun.
7. Check the weather forecast and pick the nicest day of the week to go for a power walk. I know it’s cold. But when it’s been ten degrees for almost a month, thirty doesn’t feel quite as bad as that -9 windchill factor. Bonus points if you call a friend to go with you.
8. Buy a latte at your favorite coffee shop. It’s a well-deserved splurge when the thermometer plunges and refuses to rebound. Live too far from town? Make your own version and squirt lots of Reddi Whip on top.
9. Read a book about something very different from your own life to stretch your brain. My personal picks this month: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.
10. Fix a long, hot bath and add a few drops of tangerine essential oil if you’re looking for rejuvenation or lavender if you’re wanting to relax before you sleep. Hot water is one of the kindest gifts in winter. Pamper your skin afterward with coconut oil or your favorite body butter.
11. Find an interesting museum to visit.
12. Spend an hour browsing a greenhouse. The peaceful atmosphere, especially if they have water fountains, will quiet your mind and the moisture-rich air will refresh your skin.
13. Play music or an audio Bible.
14. Write a hand-written note and send it in the mail.
15. Up to something a little bigger? Fix a pretty package for a friend. Be creative with the packaging or buy a box in a pretty pattern and it will be as much fun as the contents themselves. Yellow is a great color for winter!
16. Organize a drawer or closet.
17. Plan a girl’s night out.
18. Paint something. A room. A shelf. A chair. A gift tag. Just grab a brush and paint. You’ll be surprised how much fun it is. While you’re thinking about it, check out this gorgeous painting project by my friend, Thelma.
19. Start planning your flower garden and make a list of seeds and plants to buy.
20. Plan ahead for a fun Valentines date.
What are your favorite can’t-shake-this-winter-chill busters?